Finnish schools and Spain

Lots of attention to schools in Finland lately ... and the Finns are reportedly fairly open to homeschooling and, in fact, they could move to a voluntary model pretty easily.  (My analysis of Finland and US systems is coming soon). Unlike Spain where this family ran into issues and homeschooling is illegal. UPDATE on first link from Farenga:
I have learned that though my first post about the situation in Spain was correct, my second, where I claimed homeschooling was officially illegal in Spain, is not correct. This is due to my misreading of the information I received and I apologize for any distress this may have caused anyone. The situation in Spain is that the courts did not find a constitutional basis for homeschooling to be a right that families can exercise, but the courts noted this right could be added to the constitution. Obviously this is a big task for the small number of Spanish homeschoolers to accomplish, but one that is possible. In the meantime, Spanish homeschoolers are in the gray zone of homeschooling versus government authority, a situation familiar to homeschooling veterans in the US in the 1970s and 1980s: the Spanish families I know are still homeschooling but no one knows if they will be prosecuted for doing so. Time will tell, and I hope that during that time Spanish homeschoolers are able to rally public opinion, as well as polticial and educational support, to make homeschooling a constitutionally-protected practice.
Zemanta suggests this article:

From the BBC:


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: